The Physician Assistant Life Blog
The PA Life website was founded in 2012 as a simple blog dedicated to PAs and our unique journey. Although it has grown, the mission hasn't changed. We publish new blog posts weekly. You can find all my latest posts by clicking here.
Where are you on your PA journey?
Click in the box below and bookmark your personal resource page with content geared specifically for you wherever you are along your PA path.
Whether you a perfecting your PA school application essay, finalizing your resume/cv, or preparing for your PANCE or PANRE board exam, I have put together a collection of services to fit every budget and an ever growing number of needs.
Physician Assistant School Finder - Interactive PA Program Directory
PANCE and PANRE Exam Preparation:
I currently offer two PANCE and PANRE preparation programs: The PA Life Academy and Smarty PANCE. The good news you purchase one, and you get both! The Academy is a minimalist version of SMARTY PANCE with only exam content, while SMARTY PANCE includes the entire PANCE and PANRE exam content blueprint and can be helpful for both exam prep and EOR exams. You can read more about both below:
The PANCE and PANRE Exam Academy
The PANCE and PANRE NCCPA Content Blueprint Checklist
The checklist links to each of these 467 topics, members can simply click on a topic to explore it further. Also included are 13 topic specific content blueprint exams available to all members, as well as a slough of other exams and review material.
- Cardiology 16% - 51 topics (diseases)
- Pulmonary 12% - 32 topics (diseases)
- GI and Nutrition 10% - 41 topics (diseases)
- Musculoskeletal 10% - 39 topics (diseases)
- ENT 9% - 57 topics (diseases)
- Reproductive 8% - 46 topics (diseases)
- Genitourinary 6% - 30 topics (diseases)
- Neurology 5% - 27 topics (diseases)
- Endocrinology 6% - 18 topics (diseases)
- Psychiatry 6% - 26 topics (diseases)
- Dermatology 5% - 45 topics (diseases)
- Hematology 3% - 18 topics (diseases)
- Infectious Disease 3% - 35 topics (diseases)
Total: 13 organ systems and 467 topics (diseases)
FREE PANCE and PANRE Board Review in Your Inbox
Get 60 days of FREE PANCE and PANRE Board Review Questions & Answers delivered daily directly to your inbox. It is a great and fun way to learn.
Are you short on time? Sing up for the FAST TRACK and get 3 PANCE and PANRE review questions delivered daily! Sign Up Here
Free PANCE and PANRE Practice Exams
The Audio PANCE and PANRE Physician Assistant Board Review Podcast
The Daily Eponym Email Series
The Physician Assistant Essay Collaborative and Review Service
Clickable map of all 56 AAPA State Constituent Chapters
PAFLIX: Physician Assistant Video on Demand
Physician Assistant Exam Review Podcast
Brian Wallace PA-C runs a website and podcast that focuses on topics covered on the PANCE and PANRE. Check out his site, the podcast is great as well!
- From a PA Tumbler blog with a hidden gem of great study guides (look at the links in the sidebar). I have compiled his study guides into my own dropbox folder to simplify the process. It includes things such as this simple yet brilliant Orthopedic Cheat Sheet.
Free 5 Minute Clinical Consult and Epocrates Online Premium
- Pfizer for Professionals: As much as I hate to give my email address to the pharmaceutical companies this one may be worth it. When you create a user login you get free access to several amazing resources and even an iPhone app that allows you to access these amazing resources on the go. And yes, it really is free!
Free Patient Health Handouts
- Did you know Epocrates Online offers an amazing collection of English and Spanish Patient Resources? Check it out it is amazing! Epocrates Patient Literature Library
Physician Assistant Job Search
- AAPA PA Job Link: Probably the gold standard next to your local PA Association website.
- Craigslist: Still one of the best places to find a Physician Assistant job.
Physician Assistant Shadow
- PA Shadow Online: Find a PA to shadow, or become a PA to shadow. This is such a great idea!
- The Turkey Book: The University of Washington's chapter of the national honor medical society Alpha Omega Alpha, founded in 1902, and the online home of the Turkey Book, a home-grown introductory manual to the wards for medical students. This thing rocks!
- MedicalStudent.com: A digital library of authoritative medical education information for the medical student and all students of medicine!
- Free Clinical Cases and Images: After a few weeks of clinical practice, medical students and residents realize that patients are often different from the classic disease descriptions in the textbooks. One experienced physician summarized this by saying: "his asthma did not read the book." How to bridge this gap between theory and practice? Our answer was to create this free case-based curriculum of clinical medicine.
- Patients Like Me: An amazing idea: Bring patients together and let them document their symptoms and what helped. This is set to revolutionize the way we do healthcare!
- The Stanford 25: Demonstrate one or more of the 25 technique dependent physical diagnosis maneuvers, then have the residents perform, demonstrate, perfect and show us how they teach. This is a cool site!
- RxAssist: A wonderful resource for free and discounted medications for patients. Search by medicine to find discounted pharmacy's. This tool is priceless!
Free Medical Spell Checker for MS Word
- Free Medical Spell Checker For Microsoft Word, Custom Dictionary: You will be typing a lot of medical papers in your lifetime. This free custom dictionary by civil engineer and medical transcriptionist "Raj" is wonderful. Just follow the instruction on the page, it is easy to install.
- I also use Grammarly, which offers a feature-rich set of spell-check and proofreading options in their free web app. They also have a MS Word plugin that will take your spellcheck to the next level.
Physician Assistant Blogs/Forums
- AAPA PA Student Site: It's new and it will blow your mind!
- My PA Training (Excellent Student Site): Paul recently graduated. I feel a book in the making. He is a good blogger and has an active forum. It is the one PA blog I recommend to everyone!
- Trust me, I'm a PA Student: This is one of the newest PA blogs on the block and one of my personal favorites. Paul has top notch resources and some of the most detailed blog posts on important topics that cover all aspects of our profession, like this one.
- Physician Assistant ED: This is run by a PA and it has some really dated, but excellent resources!
- The Physician Assistant Forum: A great forum that is still quite active!
Global Health Resources for PA's
- Grassroots volunteering: Connecting travelers with local causes and communities
- Physician Assistants for Global Health: I am a bit biased since I am on the board. But this web site is about to get an update, and it will soon be the best resource for PA's wanting to network with other PA's and work abroad as a PA.
- CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: The go-to resource for travel medicine.
- Partners in Health: The wonderful home of Paul Farmer. If you are interested in Haiti start here. This book is what got me started, if you are interested in global health it is a great read!
- Health Horizons International: A great place to find volunteer opportunities as a PA or NP.
- Good Intents: I love this site! Just follow the links, the author brings a fresh and practical approach to good intentions and the way to go about "volunteerism"! A must read blog.
- Relief Web: Where is the greatest need for international volunteers? Here you will find your answer.
- Lonely Planets Free ebook and Maps Page: This link is to download maps to your e reader. But is a great resource regardless.
Safety and Security Abroad
- Registration of Traveler Emergency Contact and Itinerary Information
- Transportation Security Administration
- U.S. Department of State
Helping People Resources
- Feed America: Yes many people in America are without food. This site will be an eye opener.
My Notes and Stuff
- Dermatology Atlas - is an online source of over 23,000 images of skin disease bought to you by Loyola University.
- ECG Library is an online collection of realistic-looking recordings that can help clinicians improve their ECG skills. It contains detailed information about how to recognize and interpret abnormal ECG findings.
- Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopedics is the largest, most comprehensive online medical textbook on orthopedics with 11,000 pages of text and over 5,000 images.