Are you struggling to come up with ideas for your personal statement or supplemental essays?
Do you need a strategy to go around mental blocks and uncover your key strengths, threads, themes, or competencies for your PA school interviews?
Try mind mapping! It might be just the tool you are looking for.
Mind mapping is a great way to organize your thoughts and come up with new ideas. Plus, it's a lot of fun! I'll show you how it works.
This is a method is designed to help inform your personal statement, supplemental essay, or interview.
You can view the replay of our workshop above, as part of our new Power Up PA Community or just view the slightly improved presentation slides. If you use this method, let us know about it in the comments? Did it help you uncover anything?
The method presented in this workshop is less structured than a traditional mind map. This is more of a free association exercise where you fill the page with ideas from across your life and then connect them with colors to indicate shared themes.
Here's what my mind map looked like to give you an idea:
The traditional method is unstructured in its own way, but it starts from a central idea and works outward.
Traditional mind map with a central idea of "Why PA?"
Start with why PA? in the central circle. Draw at least three spokes coming out of the center.
Next, think of your top three (or four) reasons for becoming a PA and write each one at the end of a spoke and draw a circle around it.
Now, for each reason, start brainstorming:
- Outcomes for or benefits to patients, the team, the PA profession, healthcare, the community, yourself
- Examples of PAs demonstrating this reason
- Skills/qualities necessary to achieve/maximize
- Experiences that helped you gain those skills or qualities
Each of the bullet points above could be around the reason, or one bullet may speak out towards another bullet, or they may even be interconnected, as you can see in the simplified example below.
I used mind mapping in a literary fiction course to help brainstorm story ideas. My professor said that the area of the map with the most development indicated where the most traction was and the place to start in the story and focus on in my writing.
Looking at the diagram above with that advice in mind, if a client brought me this map, I would say that there is a lot of traction around teamwork and the underserved portion of lateral mobility. There is also the potential for a good story related to patient care through the client's job as an MA.
Given this map, I'd counsel them to consider opening their essay with a story related to patient education -- if it could relate to the underserved, all the better!
When discussing why PA, they could relate the PA/MD relationship to a Team Captain/Coach relationship to show your fit and preparation to take on that role. MAs can have somewhat parallel functions as well.
This is, by the way, a totally fictitious mind map based on themes I've heard or seen over the years.
Here are some other ideas for your central prompt and possible spokes:
- Values (for patient care/healthcare)
- Examples from work/volunteer experiences or shadowing
- Outcomes for patients
- Career aspirations
- What kind or quality of care do you want to provide?
- To whom?
- For what purpose?
- desired outcomes to patients, community, or profession
- What kind or quality of care do you want to provide?
- PA Qualities
- Leadership, teamwork, compassion, etc.
- Experiences that demonstrate/honed
- Experience(s) that demonstrate or honed
- Benefits to patients, profession
- Observed in PAs
- show preparation
- provide perspective
- understand the profession, confirm fit
- Needs of underserved or whichever population you want to work with
Have you used mind mapping before? Did you try this technique for your personal statement, supplemental essay, or interview? Tell us about it in the comments!
Need help mind mapping your personal statement or supplemental essays? Purchase a one-on-one personal statement revision.
View all posts in this series
- My PA School Interview: The Journey of a Lifetime
- How to Write the Perfect Physician Assistant School Application Essay
- The Top 46 Physician Assistant Applicant Interview Questions
- Use this Interview Hack to Get The Physician Assistant Job of Your Dreams!
- The Physician Assistant Job or PA School Interview – Email Etiquette
- The Physician Assistant Interview: Thank You and Follow-up (With Sample)
- The Physician Assistant Essay and Personal Statement Collaborative
- Do You Recognize These 7 Common Mistakes in Your Personal Statement?
- 7 Essays in 7 Days: PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 1, “A PA Changed My Life”
- PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 2, “I Want to Move Towards the Forefront of Patient Care”
- PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 3, “She Smiled, Said “Gracias!” and Gave me a Big Hug”
- PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 4, “I Have Gained so Much Experience by Working With Patients”
- PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 5, “Then Reach, my Son, and Lift Your People up With You”
- PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 6, “That First Day in Surgery was the First Day of the Rest of my Life”
- PA Personal Statement Workshop: Essay 7, “I Want to Take People From Dying to Living, I Want to Get Them Down From the Cliff.”
- Physician Assistant Personal Statement Workshop: “To say I was an accident-prone child is an understatement”
- 9 Simple Steps to Avoid Silly Spelling and Grammar Goofs in Your PA School Personel Statement
- 5 Tips to Get you Started on Your Personal Essay (and why you should do it now)
- How to Write Your Physician Assistant Personal Statement The Book!
- How to Write “Physician Assistant” The Definitive PA Grammar Guide
- A Look Inside Two PA School Interviews
- 101 PA School Admissions Essays: The Book!
- 5 Things I’ve Learned Going Into My Fourth Physician Assistant Application Cycle
- 7 Tips for Addressing Shortcomings in Your PA School Personal Statement
- 300 PA School Interview Questions You Should Be Ready to Answer
- PA School Mock Interviews: Prepare with a Live, Recorded Video Interview
- The #1 Mistake PRE-PAs Make on Their Personal Statement
- The Ultimate PA School Personal Statement Starter Kit
- The Ultimate Guide to CASPA Character and Space Limits
- Mock Physician Assistant School Interview With Taylor Hill Pre-PA
- Mock PA School Interview With Pre-PA Lily Boyle
- 10 Questions Every PA School Personal Statement Must Answer
- 5 PA School Essays That Got These Pre-PAs Accepted Into PA School
- 7 Questions to Ask Yourself While Writing Your PA School Personal Statement
- The Interview That Got This Pre-PA Into 5 PA Schools
- 101 PA School Applicants Answer: What’s Your Greatest Strength?
- Mastering Your PA School Interview: Tone Matters
- The Worst PA School Interview Question Ever!
- 12 Secrets to Writing an Irresistible PA School Personal Statement
- 7 Rules You Must Follow While Writing Your PA School Essay
- You Have 625 Words and 2.5 Minutes to Get Into PA School: Use Them Wisely
- What’s Your #1 Personal Statement Struggle?
- 31 (NEW) CASPA PA School Personal Statement Examples
- Why Choose PA Over NP? Here’s the Perfect Answer
- Don’t Make This Critical PA School Interview Mistake!
- 5 Best Ways to Give a Memorable PA School Interview
- 3 Things to Do the Night Before Your PA School Interview
- How to Prepare for Your PA School Interview Day Essay
- Should You Write Physician Associate or Physician Assistant on Your PA School Essay?
- Meet the World’s Sexiest PA School Applicants
- How to Squash PA School Interview Day Stress (4 Simple Steps)
- PA School Reapplicants: How to Rewrite Your PA School Essay for Guaranteed Success
- How to Write a Personal Statement Intro that Readers Want to Read
- PA School Reapplicant Personal Statement Checklist
- How to Deal with Bad News in Your Personal Statement
- Inside Out: How to use Pixar’s Rules of Storytelling to Improve your PA Personal Statement
- Ratatouille: A Pixar Recipe for PA School Personal Statement Success
- Personal Statement Panel Review (Replay)
- Mind Mapping: A Tool for Personal Statements, Supplemental Essays, and Interviews
- Start at the End: Advice for your PA School Personal Statement
- What a REAL PA School Interview Looks Like (in 2022)
- My PA School Interview Preparation Strategy
- How to Bring Your Best on PA School Interview Day
- How to Cope with PA School Application Rejection
- ChatGPT Answers the Top 46 PA School Applicant Interview Questions
- Why Our Program? How to Answer This Common Supplemental Essay and Interview Question
You may also like -
Download Your FREE 300 PA School Interview Questions and Answers Workbook
Sign up below to receive your free 65 page 300 PA school interview questions and answers workbook.
Leave a Reply